Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:20:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... 1993 »
  Print  
Author Topic: NEM (XEM) Official Thread - 100% New Code - Easy To Use APIs  (Read 2983954 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
ournem (OP)

Activity: 63
Merit: 24

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 09:22:07 PM
Last edit: March 05, 2019, 06:08:03 AM by ournem
Merited by klintay (10), instacalm (3), jluhxd (1)

* 100% original codebase *
* XEM is the currency of the NEM platform *

Important Links
Website | Tutorials | Forum | Blog | NEM Flash News | Catapult | NEM Apostile | MIJIN

Exchanges
Poloniex | Bittrex | HitBTC | Binance | Changelly | Zaif | Others

Developer Resources
Source Code | NIS API Documentation | Technical Reference | Development Contract (2014) | NEM Drive | NEM Developer Center | Apostille White Paper

Tools
Nembex - Block Explorer/Node Monitor | Block Explorer/Rich list | Node Explorer - Node Explorer/Node Monitor |  
NEMnodes.org - Interactive Node Map/Resource Links | Testnet Explorer

Social Media
Facebook | Twitter | Reddit | YouTube | Telegram | Instagram

Specifications
Consensus Mechanism: Proof-of-Importance
Genesis Date: March 31st, 2015
Block Time: 1 minute
Available/Total Supply: 8,999,999,999 XEM
Block Reward: N/A (transaction fees only + node rewards)

Client
You can download the NEM software at nem.io.

What is NEM?
NEM is a peer-to-peer crypto platform. It is written in Java and JavaScript with 100% original source code. NEM has a stated goal of a wide distribution model and has introduced new features in blockchain technology in its proof-of-importance (POI) algorithm. NEM also features an integrated P2P secure and encrypted messaging system, multisignature accounts and an Eigentrust++ reputation system.

NEM has gone through extensive open alpha testing starting June 25, 2014, followed by lengthy and comprehensive beta testing starting on October 20, 2014. NEM finally launched on March 31, 2015.

Watch our introductory video:

Features
- NEM is built 100% from scratch (not a fork of any existing project)
- NEM is built with test-driven development.
- NEM uses innovative Proof-of-Importance algorithm: first reputation based blockchain algorithm.
- NEM is the first crypto with delegated harvesting.
- NEM improves different features of POW and POS coins, being more efficient and environmentally friendly.
- NEM has customizable assets called Mosaics. Editable supply, levies, description, transferability and more.
- NEM has Namespaces to help maintain reputation of Mosaics.
- NEM one minute average block times.
- NEM has advanced blockchain features: multilevel multisig (Multisig 2.0), aggregate transactions, account properties, cross-chain swap.
- NEM is the first with localized spam protection.
- NEM is the first with Eigentrust++ peer reputation management.
- NEM is the first editable m-of-n multisig with blockchain based alerts.
- NEM is the first every P2P network with nodes time syncing in a decentralized manner.
- NEM offers encrypted, unencrypted and hex messaging.
- NEM is easy to install with a one-click installer.
- NEM zero monetary inflation (fixed supply, all 9 billion coins released at launch).
- NEM relatively large egalitarian distribution.
- NEM will offer mobile wallets for both iOS and Android.

Technology

XEM
XEM is the native currency of the NEM public blockchain. It is used to pay for transactions on this public blockchain in order to incentivize its network of public nodes that process and record transactions for businesses and users there. This means that XEM has real fundamental value as the currency of a functioning economy.

Harvesting
Harvesting is closely similar to mining in other cryptocurrencies, but it uses unique methods called Proof of Importance and Delegated Harvesting to determine who harvests the next block. Harvesting is necessary to keep the network online and to confirm transactions.

Supernode Program
Supernodes are high performance blockchain nodes which form the backbone of the NEM blockchain network. Accounts with 3,000,000 or more XEM can operate a supernode, either from a local computer or from a cloud-hosted server. Supernodes are required to be up and running 24 hours per day, processing all transactions.

Catapult
Catapult is a full-featured blockchain engine that can power both private and public networks with its unique smart contract plugins. These plugins enable bulletproof digital asset creation, decentralized swaps, advanced account systems and business logic modeling.
In its next phase, Catapult will become the core NEM engine. Public chain Catapult has been in testing for three years to thoroughly troubleshoot bugs and implement features. Its expected release is in 2019.

Proof-Of-Importance
POI is the consensus algorithm used in NEM to determine who will calculate the next block. An account's importance is determined by how many coins it contains and the number of transactions made to and from that account. POI is different from other initiatives which use a fee-sharing model that does not take into consideration one's overall support of the network. In some proof-of-stake systems a person only needs to have large amounts of coins to form a block; however, in NEM the transaction amount as well as support of the network become a factor. This has been designed to encourage users of NEM to not simply hold NEM but instead actively carry out transactions within the NEM ecosystem.

You can read more about NEM’s tech in the Technical Reference.

NEM Core Developers
- Jaguar0625
- BloodyRookie
- Gimre

Need Help?
Please visit our FAQs.
Or take a look at our tutorials.

Recent NEM news
Please follow us on Facebook, Twitter and NEM Flash for all the latest updates.     

Extra Links
Wikipedia
Coin Gecko
Coinmarketcap
CryptoCoin Charts

How to get Involved
If you would like to contribute to the development of NEM, please contact the team via the NEM Forum or join Telegram.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BloodyRookie

Activity: 687
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 09:27:23 PM

Finally a thread without people who misunderstand the concept of free speech Smiley

Nothing Else Matters
NEM: NALICE-LGU3IV-Y4DPJK-HYLSSV-YFFWYS-5QPLYE-ZDJJ
NXT: 11095639652683007953
TauMuon

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

NEM Enthusiast

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 09:29:17 PM

Finally a thread without people who misunderstand the concept of free speech Smiley

I know. The trolling was really really getting tiresome.

NEM - New Economy Movement - http://blog.nem.io/overview/ | www.reddit.com/r/nem | https://www.facebook.com/ourNEM | https://twitter.com/nemcoin
Built from the Ground up with 100% Original Code | A Second-Generation Crypto, Radically Improved over Bitcoin | Philosophy of Solidarity and Egalitarianism
TauMuon

NEM Enthusiast

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 09:30:01 PM

I am not in favour of self-moderation.

The unmoderated thread still exists.

NEM - New Economy Movement - http://blog.nem.io/overview/ | www.reddit.com/r/nem | https://www.facebook.com/ourNEM | https://twitter.com/nemcoin
Built from the Ground up with 100% Original Code | A Second-Generation Crypto, Radically Improved over Bitcoin | Philosophy of Solidarity and Egalitarianism
xtester

Activity: 840

Risk taker & Black Swan farmer.

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 09:31:40 PM

We were not in favor of it either until it was too much.

I will post my previous post again. Here are the reasons for the moderated thread:

I am 100% for free speech, however, free speech does not entail trolling. I'm afraid people misunderstand this because they also misunderstand what freedom means. Freedom entails some kind of self-imposed limitations. We are free in so far as we don't intentionally harm our neighbor. We simply cannot enter someone's house and kill them or destroy their home and claim we have done it in the name of our freedom. We are not free to do such things and if we do them we have to pay a big price for that. Similarly, with free speech, we are free to express our opinions and thoughts, even disagree and criticize whatever we want but that freedom becomes the seed of destruction when in the name of free speech we allow people to deliberately and intentionally troll and destroy our hard work(without paying any price).

This is not freedom, it looks more like madness and there seems to be a great incentive on the internet for people to do that, because at least for now, they don't have to pay any price for their deeds however dreadful they may be. I am not interested in political correctness, I'm only interested in what is right and what is wrong, and allowing trolls to run free in our "home" seems obviously wrong.

If we have a self-moderated thread it does not mean we will delete every comment which criticizes or disagrees with us. As long as this is done with a minimal degree of decency every discussion is welcomed. But trolling should never be allowed just because the system we use is too dumb to find a way to penalize such behaviour.
mr smith

Activity: 182

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 09:31:54 PM
Last edit: June 16, 2014, 10:11:26 PM by mr smith

The dawn of chapter 2
The donkey was done, i gave out a goldfish, working on an update.  Smiley

I feel liberated  was most unwise to say how fucked up *** detractors screwed with NEM.

Fatal flaw , to many threads , misinformation
To much bull shit >hyenas using NEM like a bill board spreading the love.

New Economy Movement
Philosophy of Solidarity and Egalitarianism
KingCole

Activity: 348
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 09:33:50 PM

Exactly! Spot on!

As we have moved to a moderated forum is it worth listing what would cause a post to be deleted? For example criticism is encouraged but lies, mis-quotes, bullying, etc. will result in deletion. The unfortunate step of moving to this type of discussion was down to abuse of a few making any genuine discussion impossible on open forums

KC
xtester

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 09:35:17 PM

I think once we have cut the troll disease, our community should be able to evolve and bloom again in no time.
TauMuon

NEM Enthusiast

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 09:40:30 PM

I think once we have cut the troll disease, our community should be able to evolve and bloom again in no time.

With luck! Some really good discussion was developing in the previous threads before the troll infestation. Hopefully this thread will be a haven for such discussion once more.

I'll start some light discussion: Should a NEM Mobile app for Android and iOS be a priority for development after completion of the V.1 blockchain?

TauMuon

NEM Enthusiast

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 09:41:29 PM

seems to be dying down already...

Don't tempt fate...  Wink

xtester

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 09:49:01 PM

With luck! Some really good discussion was developing in the previous threads before the troll infestation. Hopefully this thread will be a haven for such discussion once more.

I'll start some light discussion: Should a NEM Mobile app for Android and iOS be a priority for development after completion of the V.1 blockchain?

Thanks again TauMuon for the good layout and all.

My short answer is yes.

I cannot elaborate more now, need to focus on fighting the deasease. Smiley
xtester

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 09:50:02 PM

seems to be dying down already...

Don't tempt fate...  Wink

well the second i clicked into the other thread after posting that.. cfa had posted over there lol

ps. can mods add people that can also delete the obvious troll posts? obviously 1 person cant do it 24/7

We'll need to look that up. Does anybody know already?
NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 09:53:08 PM

Just because of the fact that it is moderated, most of the trolls will stay out. No need for 24/7 moderation.
xtester

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 09:56:29 PM

Just because of the fact that it is moderated, most of the trolls will stay out. No need for 24/7 moderation.

Good point. Anyway, we hope for the best but prepare for the worst. So can someone share rights of a thread?
Thingamajig

Activity: 497
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 10:00:13 PM

We were not in favor of it either until it was too much.

I will post my previous post again. Here are the reasons for the moderated thread:

I am 100% for free speech, however, free speech does not entail trolling. I'm afraid people misunderstand this because they also misunderstand what freedom means. Freedom entails some kind of self-imposed limitations. We are free in so far as we don't intentionally harm our neighbor. We simply cannot enter someone's house and kill them or destroy their home and claim we have done it in the name of our freedom. We are not free to do such things and if we do them we have to pay a big price for that. Similarly, with free speech, we are free to express our opinions and thoughts, even disagree and criticize whatever we want but that freedom becomes the seed of destruction when in the name of free speech we allow people to deliberately and intentionally troll and destroy our hard work(without paying any price).

This is not freedom, it looks more like madness and there seems to be a great incentive on the internet for people to do that, because at least for now, they don't have to pay any price for their deeds however dreadful they may be. I am not interested in political correctness, I'm only interested in what is right and what is wrong, and allowing trolls to run free in our "home" seems obviously wrong.

If we have a self-moderated thread it does not mean we will delete every comment which criticizes or disagrees with us. As long as this is done with a minimal degree of decency every discussion is welcomed. But trolling should never be allowed just because the system we use is too dumb to find a way to penalize such behaviour.

Seeing as you reposted this, i'm re-quoting it because i share the sentiment.

Most certainly yes. I'd love to see a NEM wallet on android and other mobile device OS's.
Jaguar0625

Activity: 299

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 10:08:12 PM

Why wait? NEM has a strong community. Once the open alpha releases, the APIs will be made public shortly after. I hope the community can start building on top of NEM at that point while the core team is still focused on the core blockchain features.

NEM - nem.io
gimre
Legendary

Activity: 866
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2014, 10:18:49 PM

I don't think apple will pass any wallet-like app, so only possibility for ios is web wallet

NemusExMāchinā
Catapult docs: https://docs.symbol.dev
github: https://github.com/symbol
EFFV

Activity: 278

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 10:19:17 PM

Hey, thanks for getting this started xtester. I added a link to the moderated thread under important links in the non-moderated thread. Should we add a link to the non-moderated thread under important links here also?

Thanks,
EFFV

"A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: we did it ourselves."  -Lao Tzu
My Trust Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=474589.new#new
mr smith

Activity: 182

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 10:22:05 PM

Why wait? NEM has a strong community. Once the open alpha releases, the APIs will be made public shortly after. I hope the community can start building on top of NEM at that point while the core team is still focused on the core blockchain features.
Thanks Jaguar , POI needs to be explained at some point. I assume PR will give us the details

New Economy Movement
Philosophy of Solidarity and Egalitarianism
xtester

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 10:26:01 PM

I don't think apple will pass any wallet-like app, so only possibility for ios is web wallet

@gimre Apple has changed their policy recently and allows bitcoin wallets again:

http://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-wallet-apps-re-enter-ios-store-apples-digital-currency-policy-shift/

It would be great to have a NEM wallet for IOS and Android.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... 1993 »
  Print  

Jump to: