Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:20:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New bitcoin features  (Read 4878 times)
genjix (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1071

View Profile
March 22, 2011, 04:53:16 AM
Last edit: March 22, 2011, 05:25:30 AM by genjix

As per this and this post, me & dissipate have setup a new site:

http://bitcoin.cz.cc

You propose features for Bitcoin. The front page shows a mix of the most donated proposals (10) and newest ones (5). Once the feature is implemented in Bitcoin then the bounty goes to the author and the proposal is deleted.

Think of it as an experiment into future methods for bitcoin based free software dev. Right now I'm just putting it out there to see what happens. If it grows then we can think about turning it into a bug tracker type thing with tickets, comments, statuses, assignment of tickets and search.

##############
For this to work, people have to know about it. Add it to your signatures!
"Vote up your favourite ideas to go into Bitcoin"
##############

Source code.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
March 22, 2011, 05:27:54 AM

The front page doesn't show anything?

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
genjix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 22, 2011, 05:48:56 AM
Last edit: March 22, 2011, 06:09:11 AM by genjix

The front page doesn't show anything?

Because nobody has proposed any features yet.

BTW for now, I specify payouts once bounties are completed. If Bitcoin development becomes too fast then we can develop a system, but for now I'm doing it manually.
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
March 22, 2011, 05:51:35 AM

I still think it works better as a kickstarter clone!

Anonymous

March 22, 2011, 02:01:15 PM

Maybe everyone thinks bitcoin is perfect the way it is. Wasnt there a list of bugs gavin was wanting to get people to focus on ?
Anonymous

March 22, 2011, 02:03:00 PM

I still think it works better as a kickstarter clone!

clones are pale copies of the original Smiley
stakhanov

Activity: 175
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 22, 2011, 02:22:52 PM

Don't call it a kickstarter clone, call it a bitcoin-enhanced kickstarter Smiley
dissipate

Activity: 288
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 22, 2011, 04:55:39 PM

Maybe everyone thinks bitcoin is perfect the way it is. Wasnt there a list of bugs gavin was wanting to get people to focus on ?

By putting bounties on each bug fix and feature, Gavin and the other bitcoin developers will be able to tell which features and bug fixes are most urgent. Each part of the project has it's own price! This pricing mechanism for FOSS projects is a radical improvement over the model of putting arbitrary priorities on bugs and features.
BitterTea

Activity: 294

View Profile
March 22, 2011, 05:06:05 PM

Do features have to be implemented in the official Bitcoin client to be eligible for the bounty, or can they be in a standalone application?
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
March 22, 2011, 05:09:02 PM

By putting bounties on each bug fix and feature, Gavin and the other bitcoin developers will be able to tell which features and bug fixes are most urgent. Each part of the project has it's own price! This pricing mechanism for FOSS projects is a radical improvement over the model of putting arbitrary priorities on bugs and features.

Maybe you just need to interface with the Github bug tracker. I heard they have an API for you to use.

genjix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 22, 2011, 06:28:35 PM

Maybe you just need to interface with the Github bug tracker. I heard they have an API for you to use.

This is actually a very cool idea.

By using existing systems, it allows you get up to speed very quickly.

Yet at the same time you loose the flexibility and inventiveness from having a blank canvas. Since this is a grand experiment, maybe it's best to keep with the custom solution for now, adding features as we see fit later.

+1
PLATO

Activity: 493

Don't trust "BBOD The Best Futures Exchange"

View Profile
March 23, 2011, 12:59:16 AM

Can you set this up so we can see how many people have donated to each fund? 5 people each bidding 1, and 1 person bidding 5, convey different information

All posts by me after 2012 were a compromised account. Probably by "BBOD The Best Futures Exchange". SORRY Y'ALL
genjix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 23, 2011, 06:03:36 AM

Can you set this up so we can see how many people have donated to each fund? 5 people each bidding 1, and 1 person bidding 5, convey different information

Yep. Does it matter if it doesn't show names?
PLATO

Activity: 493

Don't trust "BBOD The Best Futures Exchange"

View Profile
March 23, 2011, 06:11:22 AM

Nope, I'd hide names as well.

All posts by me after 2012 were a compromised account. Probably by "BBOD The Best Futures Exchange". SORRY Y'ALL
Bimmerhead
Legendary

Activity: 1291
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 23, 2011, 01:47:23 PM

Nice!
How about a discussion board/comments section under each project?
Pretty easy with Disqus.  Or use Facebook Connect+fb board and have the discussion posts go down the Facebook newsfeed for extra virality.
genjix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 23, 2011, 03:26:34 PM

Nice!
How about a discussion board/comments section under each project?
Pretty easy with Disqus.  Or use Facebook Connect+fb board and have the discussion posts go down the Facebook newsfeed for extra virality.

I'll integrate Disqus. How easy is it to do?

Otherwise I can just slap on comments (it's not hard to do).
Cdecker

Activity: 489
Merit: 504

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2011, 03:56:54 PM

I'll integrate Disqus. How easy is it to do?

Otherwise I can just slap on comments (it's not hard to do).
If it's as easy as IntenseDebate's API it is just a matter of putting a JavaScript where you want the comments.

Want to see what developers are chatting about? http://bitcoinstats.com/irc/bitcoin-dev/logs/
Bitcoin-OTC Rating
genjix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 23, 2011, 07:32:20 PM

done! check it out

I noticed sometimes disqus fails to connect, so just refresh if that happens.
Bimmerhead
Legendary

Activity: 1291
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 24, 2011, 03:22:13 AM

done! check it out

I noticed sometimes disqus fails to connect, so just refresh if that happens.

That was fast... looks good.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 24, 2011, 04:58:05 AM

New feature request...

Blockchain broken up into distinct files, by year or half-year, so that really old blocks can be archived onto less-than-local storage while still be accessible to the client.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: